CoolAJ86

Friday, February 05, 2010

I recently discovered that my driving time becomes more enjoyable (and productive) if I listen to Google Tech Talks.

I was rather fascinated by Go. The idea that the first argument to a function definition should be the object receiving the message just makes sense. Duck typing makes sense. It's a great paradigm.

Tonight I starting looking at the Getting Started guides on Erlang for the first time. I've been meaning to do it for a while, but I just hadn't. I feel that having had my eyes opened by Python, then Ruby, and then Go have prepared more to more readily understand so many new concepts.



I see that Yukihiro Matsumoto was definitely right that the way you approach solutions to problems has much to do with your natural language. Certain constructs of human language and grammar are more conducive to certain thinking patterns. Background and culture play a huge part too. I can see that Erlang was written from the perspective of a certain mind-culture.

Computer science is so awesome...


The more I get into this stuff, the more I believe that it is a truly creative and expressive medium - an art more than a science.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home